Laurie Williams made his claim to fame several years ago when he discovered his legendary "Whitebait" Kauri log, which he then converted into billets for instrument making, but that's not the only local wood (exotic for us) that Williams employs in his powerful stringed instruments. In addition to Kauri, with its warmth and great projection (like the difference between Cedar and Redwood, but amplified), he chose to construct the back and sides on this 2005 Kiwi OM with Taraire, a New Zealand species similar to the Rosewood family with its rich, balanced tone and workability. Under Williams' painstaking care, these woods have been transformed into an instrument with amazing action and response, which is deeply resonant in lowered tunings like DADGAD, and has trebles with a clear, focused tone. Fingerstylists will love the easy playability of the OM-size body and the 12-fret neck and 24 3/4" scale, allowing arrangements to ring flawlesssly smooth. Safe in its Ameritage hardshell case, this Kiwi is ready to go anywhere with its rich, resonant voice.
Laurie Williams made his claim to fame several years ago when he discovered his legendary "Whitebait" Kauri log, which he then converted into billets for instrument making, but that's not the only ...read full description
Woods & Trim
- Back/Sides: Taraire
- Top Wood: Kauri
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Neck Wood: Kauri
- Bridge: Ebony - Macassar
- Rosette: Abalone
- Binding: Taraire
- Fingerboard Bindings: Ebony
- Headplate: Taraire
- Headstock Bindings: Kauri
- Headstock Inlay: Builder Logo
- Top Trim: Wood Lines
- Back Strip: None
- Fret Markers: 12th Fret Kiwi Bird Inlay
- Tuners: Gotoh 510
- Tuner Finish: Gold with Ebony Buttons
- Body Size: Medium
- Scale: 24 3/4 in. (628.7 mm)
- Nut Width: 1 3/4 in. (44.5 mm)
- String Spacing: 2 3/16 in. (55.6 mm)
- Body Length: 19 3/8 in.
- Upper Bout: 11 in.
- Lower Bout: 15 in.
- Serial #: 05111
- Body Depth @Neck Heel: 3 3/4 in.
- Body Depth @Tail Block: 4 1/8 in.
- Frets to body: 12
- Cutaway: None
- Pickguard: None
- Case: Hardshell Case - Ameritage
- Pickup: None
- Condition: Excellent Excellent but for two small dings on side that sits on the player's leg.
Artists who play instruments by this builder: Nigel Gavin