According to Bob Hartman’s authoritative text, The Larsons’ Creations, this Euphonon 16” Pearl Jumbo was finished in 1938. This Jumbo demonstrates appointments of the highest order for the brothers: Pearl trim bound with Grained Ivoroid, Pearl rosette and soundhole half bound in Ivoroid (a Larson technique), Pearl thistle adorning the headstock, Pearl-inlaid fingerboard and bridge wings. The flattened pyramid bridge is original, as are the tuners, pickguard, fingerboard—across the guitar, the original finish shines. This Larson is in superb condition for such a rare creature from the 1930s. This 16” Jumbo plays as smoothly as ice cubes skating across the griddle: the Brazilian Rosewood and Spruce body have fully opened up and offer a breathiness paired with expansive headroom. The treble overtones are grad-school articulate: they speak in complete sentences with dependent clauses and profound weight. The neck profile follows a unique path from the flattened C shape (around the first position) which sharpens into something of a V as you approach the heel. What more can we say? An exceedingly rare breed from the Larson Brothers’ Euphonon line, practically as original as the day it was born, stable and with the seasoned voice of a worldly-wise traveller yet in their prime. This, friends, is a piece of history worth playing.
According to Bob Hartman’s authoritative text, The Larsons’ Creations, this Euphonon 16” Pearl Jumbo was finished in 1938. This Jumbo ...read full description
Woods & Trim
- Back/Sides: Brazilian Rosewood
- Top Wood: Spruce
- Fingerboard: Ebony
- Neck Wood: Mahogany
- Bridge: Ebony
- Rosette: Pearl
- Binding: Grained Ivoroid
- Fingerboard Bindings: Grained Ivoroid
- Headplate: Mahogany
- Headstock Bindings: Grained Ivoroid
- Headstock Inlay: Thistle
- Top Trim: Pearl
- Back Strip: Marquetry
- Fret Markers: Engraved Pearl
- Tuner Finish: Nickel
- Body Size: Jumbo
- Scale: 25 1/2 in. (647.7 mm)
- Nut Width: 1 3/4 in. (44.5 mm)
- String Spacing: 2 5/16 in. (58.7 mm)
- Body Length: 19 in.
- Upper Bout: 12 1/8 in.
- Lower Bout: 16 in.
- Serial #: 1205
- Body Depth @Neck Heel: 3 5/8 in.
- Body Depth @Tail Block: 4 in.
- Frets to body: 14
- Cutaway: None
- Pickguard: Tortoise Style
- Case: Hard - Hardshell Case, probably original
- Pickup: None
- Condition: Excellent. Typical play wear, shimmed nut, two cleated back cracks, two dents on lower bout of top, a few marks on back of neck, third fret side dot missing.
Artists who play instruments by this builder: Bob Dylan, Patsy Montana, Gene Autry, Arkie